Home Forums Spirulina health benefits Organic Spirulina

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  yairguy 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Lithwin
    Participant

Hello Dr. Cath,

Greetings!
    What does organic Spirulina mean?
    How different is it from normal Spirulina?
    Is there any better benefits with Organic Spirulina when compared to normal Spirulina?
    How to produce Spirulina naturally/organically…without using the Zarrouk medium formula?

Thanks and Cheers to Good Health!
    Lithwin

yairguy
    Participant

What does organic Spirulina mean?
    Using only organic fertilizer is a major challenge for itself. The problem is that organic fertilizers are insoluble in water to say the least. Compost and manure are good example of such fertilizers, you require purifying them for only the really needed nutrients to be available in the growth culture and that process quite complicated.(and humans to eat)

How different is it from normal Spirulina?
    As you already know, to produce Spirulina there is need for large amounts of Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) for 2 main reasons (1) Maintaining pH levels in growing water and thus avoid wild Algae growth. (2) Spirulina requires high pH level environment to grow.
    Sodium Bicarbonate is extracted from saltwater and this powder is in chemical form. Hence we can’t really call it organic product and means that no one can claim their products as “fully organic” products.
    In other words: The organic certification companies obtain for their product is not from governments but form private companies and organisations.

Is there any better benefits with Organic Spirulina when compared to normal Spirulina?
    My answer is no. That said I had conversation with a naturopath three weeks ago and all she wanted to hear was ‘Organic Certified’. Maybe she knows something I don’t.
    What really matters is growth condition, salinity, PH levels, what you feed the spirulina, temperature, light and clearly good strong strain.

(To my understanding in United States, Australia and New Zealand the definition is very simple, if it’s not coming from soil it’s not organic)

Okay, I think my short assay here answers your first 3 questions.
    As for the 4th question, Ill let someone else answer that because I’m not familiar with that new medium.

Dr Cath
    Keymaster

Thanks Yairguy!

I agree, that there is no difference between organic and natural spirulina IF (and that’s a big IF) spirulina was produced, packaged, etc. in a “clean” environment.

So it’s way more important to buy spirulina from a grower you trust, than a spirulina that has the label “organic”

I think this is a question that is coming so often I’ll have write an article about it soon. I’ll post the link here when it’s on-life.

Thanks 🙂

UPDATE: Here the article integrating all your comments! Thanks!

Should you Buy Organic Spirulina?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Dr Cath.

Barrabill
    Participant

Greetings
    I am going to wade into this debate, as I have this asked of me ALLOT, and there is no simple answer.
    First point, every thing that I say is MY point of view and it is a view generated over decades in Aquaculture and lately years in algae culture.

I personally would not prefer organic spirulina – not in the currant definition of “organics” the risk profile of utilizing organic certified products in the culturing of my spirulina would be concerning, just because of the contamination potential.
    – when people ask me about my organicness of my product is say it is pre-Organics, I use the highest quality minerals/nutrients and cleanest water and air and have an extensive testing program.
    That been said, I would always look were your spirulina produced as there is a major gulf between good spirulina and great spirulina and that is more to do with the Quality of the air,water and nutrient and culturing methods – it is likened to growing spirulina in a heavily polluted environment in a raceway or pond with the cheapest range of nutrients/minerals, than growing a culture in a pristine place with the highest quality nutrients/minerals in a sealed system.
    To the consumer they feel comfort in having some quality branding even though it has vary little to do with the quality.

I would suggest we as an industry need some sort of exclusive (Algae) Branding – Just for micro algae and not been lumped into the Agriculture and other Primary Produce basket. We just don’t fit.
    What we do is significantly different, actually an order of magnitude different – unlike agriculture and to a lesser degree “intensive aquaculture” – what we put into our culture gets directly into the consumable product – so if you want quality you need to put in quality.

I would be more interested in seeing if they have HACCP standard – http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Oa/background/keyhaccp.htm.

The main reason is that if you produce food(spirulina) product in my part of the world (New Zealand) you need this and other standards – JUST TO PRODUCE PRODUCT.
    If you are culturing in other parts of the world you don’t need such standards – and as a producer you are competing with them, not a very even playing field and with the growth of this industry and the new and existing places that are producing product in different manners then the consumer will have trouble defining whether this fine product is the product been what it claims to be. 🙂

My two bobs worth !!!

keep on growing

yairguy
    Participant

I hate to disappoint but I don’t really have an opinion.

I live across the ditch to you mate and I know exactly what you mean about standards. The way I look at it, it’s just another box I have to tick.

If you read my comment from May 22, 2015 you know exactly what I think of organic spirulina. At the end of the day such thing don’t really exist in my eyes. That said, it is clearly important for some people that extra certificate, however I firmly believe that they don’t know what organic spirulina means.

I personally look at the source of the spirulina. I am likely to purchase from non-Asian country due to nature of spirulina to absorb chemicals, toxins, metals etc… as you said “Quality of the air,water and nutrient and culturing methods – it is likened to growing spirulina in a heavily polluted environment in a raceway or pond with the cheapest range of nutrients/minerals, than growing a culture in a pristine place with the highest quality nutrients/minerals in a sealed system.” – That said, I am sure that some Asian sources are great sources.

When it comes to organic (not just spirulina) my left eyebrow is raised,
    The closest thing I have done towards moving to organic food is my new year resolution to eat less processed food. Im not really concerning myself if it’s organic or not. If it is, great if not… then no.

When it comes to spirulina like said earlier – At the end of the day such thing don’t really exist in my eyes.

Do you have a website where we can see you PBR or farm?

Barrabill
    Participant

HI Yairguy
    I don’t have a website currently – as I am about to embark on a new phase of my spirulina development. I have a youtube site -wateralchemy – https://www.youtube.com/user/WaterAlchemyLtd, which has some videos of the basic design – with non spirulina cultures.
    Where are you based in Aussi ? as I am looking for some culture in Aussi – I am currently visiting my family in perth !!!and I might build one of my small PBR for one of my siblings.
    best

Dr Cath
      Keymaster

Hi @barrabill, I looked at the linked you posted, very cool installation.
      Question for you:
      What is the white particles floating?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Dr Cath.

yairguy
    Participant

Hey mate,

I had a look at your your youtube channel, interesting tank design with the coils going around it. I think ill try to make something similar. see how it goes.

I live in Brisbane, kind of opposite to where you at.

To get algae here in Aus you will have to go through CSIRO. It’s a ‘fine’ of few hundred dollars for 250ml.

What sort of pump are you using in those tanks? I know there is an issue with pumps chopping off the spirulina.
    Cheers,

yairguy
    Participant

Hey,

I was viewing your video on Helical 700 1 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrt4Lm7f_D4.

It looks like very promising PBR. What sort of pump are you using there? or is it airlift?

Same goes for the Small Budget Model PBR you made. it looks like you are using air lift on that one – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ihTxJd1flk

Speak soon,

Barrabill
    Participant

HI yairguy
    I am now in west Aussi and I am looking for some spirulina
    I have emailed CSRIO but I have not herd from them – could I purchase a litre of starter culture to start one of my small units ?
    best regards
    you could email me direct – [email protected]

yairguy
    Participant

Hello mate,

From some reason my IP was banned from this website and I couldn’t replay to you.

Im not really sure where you are with CSIRO but I can tell you that either plantesis or maxima are not allowed in Aus to be held at home but only in vitro (i.e labs).

Furthermore,
    Me sending you started culture is illegal in Australia. I experienced it myself.

Sorry but I cant help…
    Cheers,

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  yairguy.

Dr Cath
      Keymaster

@yairguy, I guess you mean for non-commercial use, because you do have a spirulina farm in Australia.
      Any idea why this restriction?

yairguy
    Participant

Hi Dr Cath,
    Australia being so isolated from the rest of the world with its unique flora the commonwealth is simply looking after it using high level of regulation (There are other variables as well but to the average person it is pretty much the reason).

I have contacted the Australian Spirulina commercial farm, because I wanted a little for myself, their response to me was built from two short sentences (the email signature was longer)…. the first involved ‘hello’ and the second ‘illegal in Australia’ (I guess they are also protecting their business in a way).

I conducted further investigation with the authorities and it is simply high level of regulation to protect the environment from reckless users from introducing new species into the fauna.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  yairguy.

Dr Cath
    Keymaster

Interesting… Even though there is no risk of introducing an alien species if you send spirulina INSIDE the country.

yairguy
    Participant

Well…
    I have been in touch with this company in more then one occasion… they are very protective of their company.

I saw you have connected an article Should you Buy Organic Spirulina? to this thread – very cool!

Questions to you,
    How does one get in touch with you? cant seem to find a ‘contact us’ page

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.