Home Forums Growing Spirulina Growing spirulina in acid media with bread yeast

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  dariolobos 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

dariolobos
    Participant

Hi, My name is Dario lobos and I am starting a spirulina growing. I am living in Georgotown, Guyana, south American Amazonia. The city is located at the end of demerara river and finish in the sea, and is a huge delta, since that the sea water is almost river water low in sodium, the color is dark yellow (burnt sienna) and it have plenty minerals. So I am trying to use this water mixed with rain water and boiled for the growing. Also I have the idea that using an acid media the spirulina can survive with less risk of contamination, using yeast (bread yeast – Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and a little bit acid media and the spirulina seed. Let me explain me better to have your opinion about that. The animals use the energy of the aliments using the road of acetic acid and the coenzyme A, the result is energy and CO2, also the mushrooms do the same, and the yeast is a mushroom. Since that using a mushroom it can supply the CO2 and keep the media acid until it die, fixing nitrogen in the mix. To give you a good example the leguminous plants don’t fix nitrogen in the soil, the yeasts in its roots do that in a symbiosis. To give food to the yeast I will use sugar and starch, a little bit. The problem is that this will become the water more and more acid,but this can be solved as the way of the nature, I will put an Oyster shell in the water that that is easy plane expoliating natural calcium carbonate stone, and with the acetic acid will free the CO2 too and will became acetic calcium salt. This will keep the ph only lightly under 7. This occurs in in any river or creek water or lake. For starting point I will one trial with: 1 liter of the local sea water; 3 liters of rain water, 5 grams of sugar, 1 gram of starch (the starch will be eated later than the sugar for the yeast), 0.5 grams of bread yeast and the spirulina seed and I will compare with the growing that used basic media with sodium bicarbonate. Other thing is that maybe movement is not required in acid media, since maybe the ciano bacteria use the changing of shape to modify its density and capilar shape to go up and boton in the lake as its need. Also the oxygenating of water is needed to free the CO2 in the sodium hydrogen carbonate making sodium hydroxide by oxidation, that is not needed in acid media since the yeast is whom bring the CO2 in the media. A second stage is try to isolate a local ciano bactery with similar properties.

THE PROCEDURE WOLD BE:
    THIS PROCEDURE HAVE VE DONE EARLY IN THE MORNING FOR THE LIGHT.
    1. MIX RIVER/LAKE/SEA AND RAIN WATER
    2.A BOIL IN A COVERED POT THE MIXED WATER
    2.B YOU CAN USE A PASTEURIZER MADE WITH A SMALL STAINLESS STEEL TUBE TO HOT AND THEN PASS IT THROUGH A BIGGER ONE THAT HAVE COLD WATER IN REVERSE CURRENT AND THE OUSIDE TUBE CAN BE PLASTIC.
    3. LEAVE GET THE WATER COLD COVERED
    4. ADD 50 ML OF VINEGAR (5% ACETIC ACID) FOR EACH 4 LITERS OF WATER
    5. ADD 5 GRAMS OF SUGAR AND 1 GRAM OF STARCH FOR EACH 4 LITERS OF WATER
    6.A AIR THE MIX USING A COUPLE OF BUCKETS AND PASING THE WATER TO ONE TO OTHER 6 TIMES
    6.B YOU CAN AIR THE MIX WITH A COMPRESOR OR AIR PUMP
    7. PUT THE WATER IN THE TANK
    8. ADD 0.5 GRAMS OF BREAD YEAST FOR EACH 4 LITERS OF WATER
    9. MOVE WITH A SPOON OR PADDLE
    10. ADD AN SMALL OYSTER SHELL IN THE TANK FOR EACH 4 LITERS OF WATER
    10. LEAVE THE WATER GET QUIET
    11. ADD SPIRULINA SEEDS AND LEAVE IT TOGETHER IN ONE OR FOUR CORNERS WITH OUT MOVE THE WATER.

NOTES: AFTER YOU USE THE WATER FOR SPIRULINA MAYBE CAN BE USED AS PLANT FOOD. THE OYSTER REGULATE THE PH SINCE IF THE WATER IS SO ACID THE SHELL WILL FREE CO2 AND PRODUCE CALCIUM HIDROXIDE AND IF WILL BE SO BASIC THE SODIUM HIDROXIDE WILL CATCH CO2 TO CRISTALIZE CALCIUM CARBONATE

dariolobos
    Participant

LET ME KNOW PLEASE YOUR OPINIONS AND COMMENTS. BEST REGARDS AND THANKS

dariolobos
    Participant

INSTEAD OF USING VINEGAR, SUGAR AND STARCH IT CAN BE USED ROTTEN FRUITS OR VEGETABLES JUICE BOILED OR PASTEURIZED, SUCH AS LEMON,PINEAPPLE,STAR FRUITS,ORANGES, GRAPES,CARROTS,BEET, GREENS OR MIXING TOGETHER THE REST OF A GROWING IN A SMALL FARM OR HOUSE WITH GARDEN. IT CAN BE USED 100 CC TO 200 CC OF THIS JUICE FOR EACH 4 LITERS OF WATER, INSTEAD OF 5 GRAMS OF SUGAR,1 GRAM OF STARCH AND 50 ML OF VINEGAR. HAVE A GOOD DAY AND ANY COMMENTS FOR THE EXPERT IS GOOD FOR MY TO AVOID MAKE MISTAKES OR OVER ROAD AN INCORRECT WAY. THANKS. DARIO

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.